Old Firefly bits

Post your requirements here
Stephen Hawkins

Old Firefly bits

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

On the look out for old Firefly bits.

1. Tufnol main sheet block with Becket. Plus one without.
2. Tube bailer bits. I have one complete one and one outer shell. Wondering whether to reinstate, but moot point until I have two complete ones. I know they are pants!
3. Gubbins to reinstate original jib halyard run under deck. Hooks still there.

Patina welcome, full function necessary, or at least achievable with a bit of fetling.

Michael and I are on the look out for a spare Reynolds mast to hold in reserve, between the pair of us. Pieces of the above also considered, as Michael already has spare wood section....

Regards

PS I am not allowed to spend any more than small change....:(
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Michael4

Re: Old Firefly bits

Post by Michael4 »

Steve,

Re the jib halyard, I'm sure the pulley is still there under the bow fitting, hidden in the dark behind the buoyancy. You have the rack so all you need (apart from the halyard itself) are two cleats to go under the starboard side deck. On Vootie these are wooden but...

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
chris

Post by chris »

not on your list I see but I have an original spoon, swept back firefly rudder and tiller looking for a long term relationship with a suitable hull. Good sense of humour and looking for serious, racy fun. Seen better days but just needs touching up and a little TLC!
Stephen Hawkins

Chris,

spares are spares. I take it its a fixed rudder? Always good for a laugh. I currently work in Bradford On Avon, so it would not be too much of a journey to pop by and see you one evening, if the kettle is on.

Cheers

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

chris

Post by chris »

yes the kettle can be on! I'll pm you my tel no.
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Did you get sorted? I have 2 tufnol blocks with and without becket in good order and NOT worn
Sam
Stephen Hawkins

Sam, its the one with the becket I am missing. As long as it is not too large. I do have a couple of mighty looking beasts with ratchet mechanisms in them that are far too large.

If it is surplus to requirements then I would be obliged.

Regards

Steve
Steve Hawkins

sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Could have sworn I just posted this but at risk of repeating myself. Its perfect buy me a pint and cover postage and its yours. PM me your details
Sam
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:On the look out for old Firefly bits.

2. Tube bailer bits. I have one complete one and one outer shell. Wondering whether to reinstate, but moot point until I have two complete ones. I know they are pants!

Patina welcome, full function necessary, or at least achievable with a bit of fetling.

Michael and I are on the look out for a spare Reynolds mast to hold in reserve, between the pair of us. Pieces of the above also considered, as Michael already has spare wood section....

Regards

I have a Brass bow plate and also a Reynolds mast .

The bow plate in an old Brass version and I think I may even have two; One was given to me by Mark Tait from his restoration of Dido, the Brazilian Olympic boat from 1948.

The Reynolds mast has the remains of a wooden top in it, and is, well, was rather an interesting shape. I suspect it is one in which the Shroud or Diamond failed.

I have "bounced" on it a few times and it has straightened up surprisingly well. With adequate rigging refurbishment and your new top mast I am confident it would be perfectly serviceable! It used to belong to my own firefly, F3184, and surprisingly given its initial condition, it still has intact Gooseneck Cheeks.

I will try and get a picture up of the mast.
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Michael,

I've not spoken to Stephen lately but there is absolutely no rush regarding the Reynolds mast, as far as I'm aware neither of ours has collapsed yet...though having said that...

Our plan was to build up a spare between us. As mentioned I have a good, recently re-glued, top section.

However, if you want it out of the way and stored elsewhere let me know, I think you are in Gosport and I am only down the A27 near Chichester.

If anyone wants it I have a chrome bow plate with the bit that runs down the stem. This could be particularly useful for someone who has a modified or simplified jib halyard that exerts more of an upward pull.

Good to see some Fireflies both old and new at the Bosham event.

Michael
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:On the look out for old Firefly bits.

Regards
If you are after tube bailers there are I think some variations on the theme. Avon made one which was less prone to damage your feet. The original Fairy version is brass or Chromed brass, and @ 1inch circumference. The handle at the top was easily bent if you accidentally kicked it, and is a magnet for tangled halyards, but that can be said for any self bailer. At leeast they stay inside the boat, unlke Super suckers or Elvstroms, which stream the halyard tails out astern to get tangled up in the windward mark tackle! :oops:

Bent handles later break off. Easily brazed back on, but many of the parts have been lost in the bin because of this and so they need looking out for. The Bakelite top knobs are also gold dust. The other common failure is perished rubber flaps. These will not work at all and are very fiddly to replace.

Try Tony Thresher on the Firefly website and also put a Classified Wanted notice on there. As Tony converts alot of old hulls to MarkIV he is bound to have a bucket full of brass bits and does know there is a developing market for these bits.

A little grease helpsthe tube bailers function 10 time easier!

I intend to leave my Tubes in place and put some super sucks in in a new position as the rule stipulating type and position has now been relaxed. I am sure that if a declaration is made before racing (NFA or CVRDA) then a promise only to use the appropriate set of bailers should allow dispensation. (As a guarrantee you could always give the Knobs to the race officer though he might misunderstand you! :shock: )

This is what you will need for the "Gubbins under the deck" screwed securely into the stem so that the entry to the pulley lies directly below the lead hole in the bow plate.

Put the plate in position on the new deck and mark the position to drill though or you may find you are making a reed out of the bow stem!

And finally...

This is my Reynolds as it was. I have since straightened it! (WIll post pic.)
Last edited by Michael Brigg on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Brigg
Stephen Hawkins

Michael,

I was offered a chrome tube bailer for 'some monies' by someone from the Firefly website. However I declined, as it did not match the brass one I already had. My 'complete' bailer does not have a handle, rather it just has a nut on the top.

I have spoken to Mr Thresher, but alas, he does not seem to have this fabled bucket of spares. He probably passes them back to the owners as he does not want his workshop cluttered up with junk.

In the short term I will do without and live with the 'other' Micheal's modification. After all, who thought it would be a good idea to have holes in the bottom of your boat!

In the long term I will keep my eyes open, you never know what might turn up. But unless it exactly matches what I already have, I'll pass. I have polished it up and its on my shelf as a 'curio'.

I was give a pair of 'Elvestrom' type bailers this weekend to clean up. So at least I have an option, should I wish to go that way.

That is an impressive bend you have there on that mast! I am impressed that you managed to straighten it.

As far as the jib halyard is concerned, Micheal tells me I have most of it up front still. I will have to check, next time I take the mast down and pull the bag out.

Of more importance, I need to install some more bags in the stern, apparently. There goes my pocket money!

Steve
Steve Hawkins

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'll see what bags I have, Steve.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Steve, I have 2 tapered crewsaver Firefly stern bags. I'm pretty sure they leak, as otherwise I'd be using them, and I know some of the fixing bits are torn, but if you fancy putting them back together and to good use, they would look just right at the back of your boat. I can drop them off at the club tomorrow if you want.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:Michael,

...That is an impressive bend you have there on that mast! I am impressed that you managed to straighten it.

Steve

Lest there be any doubt!

And also...
Stephen Hawkins wrote:...Of more importance, I need to install some more bags in the stern, apparently. There goes my pocket money!

Steve
Bouyancy Fixation...
Also here is my way of fixing Bouyancy bags at the back. Let me know if any of it is unclear. I have attached a text explanation to each photo.

http://s225.photobucket.com/user/michae ... sort=3&o=0
Michael Brigg