Something special from Fairey

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Michael4

Something special from Fairey

Post by Michael4 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fairey-marine ... 2359832d29

Fascinating...is this the dinghy that was designed to be kept on board an Atalanta or have i got my mis-remembered legends all mixed up?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Something special from Fairey

Post by Ed »

One was on ebay recently, which gave rise to some discussion on the boat. I seem to remember that leaking was a bit of a problem, but wait to hear again the discussion on it.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

There was the Fairey Pixie a while back

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4416
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I did one of these up years ago, and replaced the seal with cork, which didn't leak, at least when brand new, but the Concept means leaking is highly likely.

I loved the boat. Shame it wasn't mine, and a shame this one is in Dundee. Bit far to go on a whim.

I'd never heard it was for the Atalanta, but would love to hear if its true, or if not, what was.
Rupert
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

From the internet, which as you know is never, ever wrong:

Referring to the Dinky:
"The cabin roof of the Atalanta (26ft sailing cruiser) is also from the same mould, allegedly. Though I can see the family likeness I've never been sure this is actually true. Can anyone confirm or deny?"
...and...
"As far as I'm aware the Dinky and the Duckling were not from the same moulds.
The Dinky was a tender built for the Atalanta and apparently the Hunstman 28's. When built as an Atalanta tender the dinky had a flap in it's transom, you could then mount it upside down over the hatch of the aft cabin and even slide it back and forward.
Differences in the designs are the Duckling was bigger. By how much I'm not sure but at least a foot in length. Also, the Duckling had a very rounded bow, rather like a dish, whereas the Dinkys bow was a straight, pointed stem.
The Duckling was designed by Uffa Fox. I'm not sure whether the Dinky also came off his drawing board, but the Atalanta did so it wouldn't surprise me."

I however, am often wrong. Looks like the Pixie has nothing to do with the Atalanta.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.