About colour...

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

About colour...

Post by Michael4 »

At a bit of a loss...

I'm starting to think about colour choice for Planet, the old clinker N12. She came to me in a fine shade of '70s yellow which I don't think I'll repeat. The wood is not in good enough shape to get back to a varnished finish and life is way too short. The hull is a sort of 'moving feast' and the final finish may not be all that good.

Not sure where to go from here, if I choose a dark colour it will be more prone to cracking in hot weather but will tend to lighten the effect of the dark deck. ie look good but crack.

If I choose a very light colour it will make the deck look dark and the inside gloomy.

Also, what colours hide imperfections best? There will be some...maybe I should try for some sort of semi matt finish?

Any ideas? Battleship grey?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Obscured by clouds

Re: About colour...

Post by Obscured by clouds »

"Smoke" - aka Blue Grey?
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Danube blue is quite nice if you don't want the real darkness of Mauritius blue.
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

I like BRG, British Racing Green.

Put a White waterline on with a deep red/ Red lead bottom and you have some added interest. You could even make the interior a Cream/white if you wished (especially under the floor boards) and the Dark decks will be set of nicely as the BRG likes to sit next to a dark wood.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Brigg
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Have you managed to get her to take up any yet?

I actually loved that deep yellow, but it was not me who chose it in the first place. And the white underside was nice also. But it also gave away to everyone the fact she is neither balanced nor trimmed correctly for the conditions.....: )

If it were me , I would pick something bright and warm that will bring a smile to my face whenever i saw it.......Like yellow and white with a blue plimsoll line.....; )

I would brighten the interior by just painting the running boards with a brighter non-slip paint.

Looking forward to seeing it.

Steve H
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Steve, it will be a while yet, she's still hanging from the garage roof but as I get round to the last coat of varnish on the Merlin I'm starting to think about it. Tideway is 'on station' so dry space is becoming available.

I've never been too happy with boot tops on a small clinker boat, reckon they take something away from the shape. Anyway, plenty of suggestions to ponder here.

Michael
(Ought to sell the lovely Firefly. Someone was interested but I can't find their email...unless they read this first!)
Tideway 206
11+
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Do'nt forget that you can get colour/tinter in tubes from decorator's merchants and probably diy places. You just add a drop at a time of a particular colour/tinter into plain white until your happy with the colour/shade. Can be added to any paint type. Good fun and you get a very personal boat.
My experience is that dark colours in gloss show imperfections the most.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Now drifting back to yellow or a sandy, chamois leather sort of colour, as Steve says, keep it happy!
Tideway 206
11+