Nationals Results and Participants, '50's, 60's, 70's

an area to discuss dinghy developments
cweed

Nationals Results and Participants, '50's, 60's, 70's

Post by cweed »

Does anyone know if there is a database / record of the details of the various class nationals of the early days of dinghy sailing, are they lost to time, or do they languish somewhere available to inquisitors?
e.g. The Finn class, for the UK, or say the Contender, the Fireball, etc. (these being presumably some of the more significant cllasses for the era, let alone the Hornet, Mirror, Wayfarer, etc)
For my own interest, I'd like to be able to see if any boat I own has any pedigree or record in the early years, and it would be great to see not only the first three places, but other boat entrants in various years.....................

I would suspect if there is an archive of Yachting and Boating Weekly, that could be a start?
PeterV

Re: Nationals Results and Participants, '50's, 60's, 70's

Post by PeterV »

The Finn class results for the Nationals are listed in Finnatics as are Eurpeans, Gold Cup and all other major championships.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
chris

Post by chris »

The merlins have records back to 1946 that are printed in their yearbooks. The Int 14's book by T J Vaughan has a section of past results.
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

Fireball results may be found at:

http://www.fireballsailing.org.uk/results/results.php

We are missing full sets for some of the early years but are gradually filling in the gaps.

Chris Turner
UKFA Archivist
Fireballs 6 & 15111
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

I have a set (I think) of Dinghy Year Books from the late '50s, early '60s that I think have most of the major classes results from each year. These stopped being available mid '60s I think and I don't know what filled the gap up to the computer age...there's probably a Y&Y archive awaiting someone's patience to upload?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Firefly class archivist will likely have most of the info you are looking for. Suspect most of this will be kept in house, as it were, by class associations.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Lightning is too small a class and too new, being late 70s, to fit your remit, but when I started doing a Yearbook, one of the things I really wanted was an accurate record of major event winners. I'm pleased to say that after about 3 years of gaps and corrections, we now have this updated and published each year for Nats, inlands, sea champs, northerns and southerns, thanks to our class sec, Caroline Key, and the designer's wife, Anne Giles, who had the early records.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

dronskiuk wrote:...there's probably a Y&Y archive awaiting someone's patience to upload?
There might not be. When they had the tribulations a few years back their set of bound volumes ended up in the home office of the then editor, who kindly let me consult them when I was trying to put together archives for the Cherubs and Canoes, but I have no idea what's happened since.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

JimC wrote:
There might not be. When they had the tribulations a few years back their set of bound volumes ended up in the home office of the then editor, who kindly let me consult them when I was trying to put together archives for the Cherubs and Canoes, but I have no idea what's happened since.
The archive appeared on eBay a few years ago, can't remember how many magazines there were, think it was over 1100. I was asked to bid on it for the National Maritime Museum Cornwall. I know a Transit van was required to move the collection, and it now resides at Falmouth.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

I came across three full sets: one at the National Maritime Museum, one with Y&Y and one at the British Library. I used the latter but editions have to be pre-ordered for viewing as they are stored remotely.

Chris Turner
UKFA Archivist
Fireballs 6 & 15111