Fleetwind?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Michael4

Fleetwind?

Post by Michael4 »

I hear rumours of a wooden Fleetwind hereabouts. I'm told it has a long mast...

Does anyone know more about Fleetwinds? Should I express excitement?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
JimC

Re: Fleetwind?

Post by JimC »

There still seem to be a few about. Its basically a fairly mainstream late 50s style twelve foot boat, other than having a taller mast and shorter foot on the sail than most. Not uninteresting, but not perhaps exciting.
davidh

Post by davidh »

There is a grp Fleetwind here on the Island going gash......

The powerbase for much of the class was Langstone Harbour and there are still a few around. As JimC said, a high aspect rig, not dissimilar to the Graduate but for a classic event - sailed inland and in predominantly light airs, they're not a bad choice.

A member of the RYA 'moribund' classes list. (and yes, they do maintain just such a list)

D
David H
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Faint praise methinks...
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

To quote from my 1961 Bosun Book of Sailing Dinghies...............

'An inexpensive 12 footer made of 1/4 inch resin bonded mahogany plywood glued to keel, chines and gunwales. Two sails and a dagger plate drawing 3ft. As fast as a Firefly off the wind but not as speedy to windward. About 400 sail numbers. Sailed at Chipstead, Felpham, Harlow, Maldon, Thurrock and Walton'

So there you go...I'd have been 7 when that was written!

I did crew in one at Hamble River SC in my youth, can't for the life of me remember whose it was (DavidH?) but there was only the one in the slow handicap fleet and didn't really figure that often. I remember it being comfortable but I was probably 9 at the time so took up less room than I do these days!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It would probably make nice singlehander for a small person, with a slightly higher upper wind strength than the Firefly without swimming.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

A friend of mine had one when I had my first boat. Seemed ok, bit like a Graduate but not as well sorted.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
GAv

Post by GAv »

They were nicknamed Planks and my efforts sailing a borrowed one resulted in a pintail dropping out and the rudder not ruddering.
I had a spare in my bits box so fixed it and joined the fleet a lap or so behind, on their second lap.

On another occassion the owner was planning a sail in what was maybe a force 7 however he wouldn't take note of yours truly's reticence of the wisdom to do so, as his mate had come down specially for a sale, from Bonie Scotland.

They went off to donn their wet suits as a loud report announced the mast had literally snapped in two and luckily didn't hit anyone as it crashed down.

He did get it repaired but somehow thought it was my fault.

Unlike a similar scenario with an Enterprise which the same enthusiasts were going out come what may,had the sail like a kite and they gave up the ghost packed up, went home and that particularly unloved dinghy a former Ardleigh Club Boat, finished up unused in the grave yard.
As many a craft did.

The plank when not falling apart was quite a nice friendly handling boat and maybe a fluke but was pulling away from the leading Laser on that lap I rejoined, maybe he got impeded with weeds, however when crewing on a Wayfairer she came in first ahead of the same guy's Laser. :lol:
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I've had 4 of these pass through my hands.....sailed 2 of them quite a lot, and I love them....maybe that's just a personal thing though. An Alan Eckford design, (hope I have the spelling correct), 12ft 1.5" long, ....love the all important 1/2 inch :D.... and most of them were actually on the East coast. Around 700 built I believe, the later ones being GRP. Designed with a high aspect rig for inland/broads they are a bit of a handful in an estuary breeze, but great fun........if a wooden one were available for restoration any time I would be interested in taking it on, just for the fun of doing it!
The fleet in Langstone Harbour that David mentions were at Marconi Sailing Club.......I actually bought one of them, named FWizz....number 192? (not sure) but there don't seem to be any around this area now unfortunately.
Sami.
GAv

Post by GAv »

The one I mentioned was back in the very early naughtiest and its owner was doing flag duties and in knowledge of my rebuilding the transom on my first ever owned boat, an Adventurer, kindly lent me his wooden one to have a race in.
I do heartily agree, SG once the rudder issue was resolved it sailed beautifully, and was more like a grown up boat than the Adventurer.
However I liked Titch so went on to call my first Streaker Twitch and my First Fireball Twitch Two :mrgreen:
I do not recall seeing another "Plank" after the guy went else where's, however a good friend is still in the Marconi Club, so will ask him if he knows.