Performance dinghy developments 1949-1954

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Performance dinghy developments 1949-1954

Post by davidh »

Hi all,

after many various and highly illuminative (not to mention interesting) I'm now finalizing the chapter on the 505 book that deals with this period. I've set the parameters for now as 1949-1954 as looking at the hull lines and sail plan of the Uffa Fox Tornado they are signed and dated by the designer - in 1949. By 1954 it was all over - bar the shouting!

Now I've records, Meeting minutes, reports and even some first hand 'primary source' interviews and they paint a fascinating picture. It is certainly one that challenges the 'accepted' version of events - but I was lucky enough, whilst researching a very different topic, to find that 'smoking gun' that all researchers dream off.

In the past we've had some really insightful comments from as far apart as Laser Tourist in France to Chris 249 over in OZ.

The book itself is still a year off from publication, but \I'd like to wrap up this bit of it so that IO can concentrate on the more recent events.

So - if anyone has ANY background to this story, can I make that good old English plea of "speak now or forever hold your peace"!

Stories like this - going back 65 years and more - are never complete, it's a bit like the fabled Grecian urn (and how much do they earn) which is often just a number of shards of pottery. I'm lucky in that I've dug out most of the substantive detail, but someone out there may just have that corner piece of the jigsaw that enables more of the picture to be assembled.

Alan W- you'll be pleased to hear that the Hornet has a goodly part to play in this chapter!

Many thanks to you all in anticipation

regards

Dougal

Y&Y
Hooked On - the Contender Story
Real Magic - 70 Years of the Merlin Rocket
Simply the Best; the story of the 505
David H
Michael Brigg

Re: Performance dinghy developments 1949-1954

Post by Michael Brigg »

davidh wrote:Hi all,

Now I've records, Meeting minutes, reports and even some first hand 'primary source' interviews and they paint a fascinating picture. It is certainly one that challenges the 'accepted' version of events - but I was lucky enough, whilst researching a very different topic, to find that 'smoking gun' that all researchers dream off.
THis should surely be in the side bar of the Facebook page, with a tag line like...

"When David asked LT about his 505 you'd never believe what he came up with!..."***

WHenever I click on the links for these thinks my Fan starts going at hyperspeed and the whole computer freezes. or takes 15minutes to load a dodgy picture. Do I need to change my settings or are these tag line stories going to be too hot to handle? :oops: :oops:

*** ANy other tag line ideas please submit here! :twisted:
Michael Brigg
davidh

Re: Performance dinghy developments 1949-1954

Post by davidh »

Michael,

Oh dear, am I going to have to disappoint you? Sadly, the story will not carry an X rated certificate but if you're worried about Panama Papers and other dodgy, back of the hand behind the bike shed dealings... then it won't be for you!

It is interesting that back then (late 1940s/early 1950s) there was far more in the way of the 'path of the individual' - more decisions can be attributed to certain people rather than the smoke filled committee room that would come later.

D
David H