ZOOM DINGHY

an area to discuss dinghy developments
fatsailor

ZOOM DINGHY

Post by fatsailor »

Hi , I have just become the proud owner of another lost class boat.
A zoom14 , similar to laser 2
It was going for a song, so I sang !
At least it's not wood so it won't rot !
I know next to nothing about these, and would be gratefull if any one knows anything PY number if any etc.
Thank you
Pat

Re: ZOOM DINGHY

Post by Pat »

We've got one languishing in the garden! It has two mast step positions IIRC and can be sailed single handed or crewed with a trapeze for the crew. The mast is thus rather solid and stright rather than tapered. Ours needs a new daggerboard. but otherwise is in reasonable condition.
We haven't yet tried to handicap it but would have to work out separate handicaps for single and double handed.
To quote from the dinghy database:
Can be sailed as single hander with mast in forward position or as double hander with trapeze and main and jib and with mast in rear position. Earlier ones were by Fletcher who are better known for speedboats and later ones were by Anglo Marine of Clacton who made the Wanderer dinghy. The design is possibly Italian and they may also have been made in Holland
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Wasn't the Zoom dinghy a singlehander ISAF tried to promote as a boat for the youth's championships (a boat designed somewhere in scandinavia, maybe)
This Zoom were mant atempts to make a smaller laser for kids (Byte, Spirou, Zoom, and Dutch Splash) ...and all but disapeared when the 4.7 rig for the Laser was introduced.
Pat

Post by Pat »

No, there are two different Zoom dinghies. The youth one is the Zoom 8, we have the other sort.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)