Yet Another 'What is it'...

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Ed
Site Admin

Yet Another 'What is it'...

Post by Ed »

Been a bit bored with the recent selection of 1970s plastic stuff for the 'What is it?'

This seems much more like it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Class ... 1979021579

What do I think....?

No idea, I would rather suspect a home-design, by someone who was a good enough boat-builder to design it with rolled decks, but used to bigger boats where that cut-back transom, is not quite so strange.

But what does the jury think?

Best wishes

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Re: Yet Another 'What is it'...

Post by Michael Brigg »

What is interesting is the other stuff the seller is selling, including 4 toppers on a bespoke (but rather past it) multi storey trailer, 6 tired looking Bosuns, and an ex military RIB, on a knackered trailer and the jewel in the crown is a pretty decent Topper ISO with full rig and combi trailer in nead of a bit of a clean up but seemingly all in order. Actually worth a punt.

All selling from Aldershot strikes me that the Army is getting rid of old stock.

Still not a lot to go on the wooden boat but I would not be surprised if it's (possibly disbanded / amalgamated regiment) bought this back from Germany. That raked back stern has a continental feel to it.

I like the old lifting rudder and there's a nice looking mainsheet "hoop" but the rest looks rather knackered to me.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

That's interesting.

I saw the Bosuns but didn't make the link to this boat, nor the link to Aldershot.

Your idea of this being a euro-boat, seems right on the mark. It just looks too good to be a home-build, but your are right it does look a bit euro. With that lead, I might get the books out and see what I can find.

eib

ps @Michael Brigg You havn't answered my post on the IC forum.....and what about the video?
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

Message now posted on eBay

On 28-Sep-16 at 17:23:58 BST, seller added the following information:
Hello,
Please accept my sincerest apologies - I had to leave for Germany at very short notice on Sunday and didn't get a chance to complete the listing fully, to my usual standard.

I will endeavour to do so on return to the UK this Friday.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Kind Regards
Damian

Michael should work as a Detective.....
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

16 Ft ??? a bit too much, but this boat borrows some features from the Classic US Crosby designed Snipe (transom mostly) which some how did not catch up very much in GB , while finding quite a number of followers in France , spain , Italy and Gdermany...but the centreboard case dosent seem to be right (the snipe is semi daggerboard , not pivoting...
The plans for the snipe were available to amateurs builders via the SCIYRA and the deck layout coud be modified in quite a variety of ways...
whacko!
Location: Emsworth, Hants; usually sail in Chichester Harbour

Post by whacko! »

"but the centreboard case dosent seem to be right (the snipe is semi daggerboard , not pivoting..."

For what it's worth, the Snipe I sailed as a boy at RAF Changi YC, Singapore, had a pivoting centreboard. I believe it was built by RAF personnel so could easily have departed from the rules (assuming Snipes have always had dagger boards - I don't know) and not been class-legal. It bore a local sail number - 46. Within the club there was a mix of Snipe sail numbers some with single/two-digit local ones and others bearing 4/5 digit SCIRA ones.

The club had a good number of its own boats: Ospreys, Snipes, GP14s, Thunderbolts and Cadets some of which went to other RAF bases when the UK pulled out of Singapore in the early 1970s. For instance at least one of the Ospreys found its way to Masirah.