Classic boats

General chat about boats
PeterV

Classic boats

Post by PeterV »

I watched an interesting programme on ch 4 last night, The lost Lotus: Restoring a race car. An old Lotus Elite was bought from the widow who had always intended to restore it. They restored the car and then raced it. It sounded so similar to the story of my Swift, and my Swift is probably rarer. The Lotus sold for over £100k though, my Swift is probably worth about £300! Long may this difference in 'value' continue so that we can carry on enjoying our boats!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Classic boats

Post by Ed »

Well said!

I agree with you so much...

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Reading the For Sale ads in the back of the Tideway Owners Association Newsletter I see that wooden Tideways range from £2000 to £9500, the latter being built traditionally in 2002 and has been for sale for a long time.

This is fine by me, the only boat that I have ever sold for noticeably more money than it cost me was a Tideway, they appeal to a certain market that tends to have rather more cash than that nutter in the hairy '50s dinghy.

Whether this will spur Ed on to rebuild the one he has 'on the bank' remains to be seen but in the meantime let us hope that ancient racing dinghy acquisition remains a low (or in some cases zero) cost activity!
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Some time....

but not for the purpose of selling it, just to use it.

Not saying that if someone offered me money I wouldn't take it, but if I do it up, it will be to use it not to sell it.

It lives on the bank or the mud, which is a pretty hard life.

It may even be beyond easy rebuilding.

it is all just supply and demand, and there is a big demand for Tideways, but not for 14s - go figure.

Best wishes

EIB
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Well, living on the mud at least it must have taken up by now!

Around here YW Dayboats seem to be becoming desirable and the 18s (living on moorings) are popular amongst the larger gentlemen...

It would seem to be about competition in comfort...or just sailing in comfort and if they can avoid getting wet so much the better.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Having raced my 18 this afternoon and being, perhaps, a larger gentleman I do not think it that comfortable or dry. And with the water being rather low at BBSC it is a long way up the slip pushing 250+Kg. Still, I am not complaining, I very much enjoy sailing it.
Harrier 25
505 7163