Classic International 14 for sale, and advise please

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Aquarius

Re: Classic International 14 for sale, and advise please

Post by Aquarius »

Ed wrote:What other racing dinghies were there at Lowestoft....waiting to go to China?

eib
Almost all of the boats that had been in Lowestoft originally.

Very few had been collected by British buyers - the honourable exceptions are:

Minisail & Gull 1 (Jolly Roger) - back to the Proctors.
Hope - museum and restoration on IoW. The subject of an article in Classic Boats by great niece.
Nimbus - back to the Westells for restoration.
Zeus & Negaunee - well done Bill (this thread)
Merhonour, Catherine, Imp & 669 - Morgan-Giles Museum. Well done Jane Shaddick.
Ben Her - Norfolk
Flying 10 & 12 (Autumn Mist) - museum and restoration on IoW.
Corona - in Norfolk for restoration

The remaining forty-three are off to China. Including Ultimate and Penultimate POW winners in more or less "dust off and go sailing" condition, a pre-War National 12 with sails and gear, a perfecltly good Fireball, etc...
CVRDA eligible:
1962(?) Firefly F3163 "Aquarius"
1946 International Fourteen K478 "Galatea"
Not CVRDA eligible:
1991(?) Nethercot IC K229, "Ogaf the Unbearable"
Squib. possibly number 251, "Squirt"
Bill123

Post by Bill123 »

Quote:
In fact I do wonder whether the boat in the picture might be (and Jane Shaddick will know) a Morgan Giles boat, from perhaps two decades earlier?

The lack of buoyancy tanks and the single (?) skin suggest an earlier date, as do the bottom board and thwart arrangements.[/quote]

Very interesting. So that might mean my Negaunee may be from the 1910s? I've sold Zeus to Chris (on this thread) and for now I'm going to keep Negaunee unless someone wants her? I may end up sticking an inboard electric motor in her and using her as a river day cruiser (you're only allowed to say that's sacrilege if you're going to buy her and save her!).

Thank you to everyone who's helped with this.

William (occasionally Bill)
Tony4488

Post by Tony4488 »

Dear All

FYI, all the boats have now left Lowestoft / Cardiff and are on their way to China. I can probably provide a list covering the Lowestoft boats (if anyone is particularly interested) but I believe George Hogg's online facility should now have been updated with the location of every boat previously in EISCA's collection. 60 boats still surprisingly remain in Eyemouth but I do not know which ones and I suspect they are the larger examples.

The additional exceptions to Aquarius' list are Alarm and Fleurs de Lis which I have managed to acquire . . . . Alarm stays here and Fleurs is for an 'interested party' possibly in Hartlepool. It is planned to fully restore Alarm and make her available for use on Oulton Broad but it is not an overnight project as she is holed.