Daring dinghy

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Tctor68

Daring dinghy

Post by Tctor68 »

Hello all,
I have a Daring dinghy willing to DONATE for pick up.
designed by Bill Obrien in 1956
Quick boat
No rot, to good to scrap.
Have owned 35+ years dry stored.
Sail number 79 so maybe one of the last built.
Need space do not want to break it up as maybe the sole survivor of this class.
Full battened main sail , jenoa, trapeze.
If anyone interested and further info call

01592 769121

torkydland@hotmail.co.uk

Regards
Tor Kydland
davidh

Re: Daring dinghy

Post by davidh »

I am amazed, yet saddened, that there isn't a queue of people wanting to take this on - after all, isn't this the very essence of what the classic scene should all be about? If it was a Merlin, one of the more favoured ones, a Mk IX/IXb, XII...or a Passing Cloud, there would be a stampede. But a boat that is now unique, the last of it's kind - and a damn good boat to boot, remains unloved.

I've now also got a 'last of it's kind' project on the go already else I'd be at the head of the queue; worse, I'm aware of yet another 'last of its kind' boat that is slowly rotting away.

We got all hot under the collar recently about the sale of boats from the Thornhill collection, with some people paying hefty sums for 14s that, admittedly, had some provenance. But some of the others were just 14s - boats of which there were numerous other examples already being saved.

Maybe the only way that this boat could be saved would be for it to follow many of the others - to a museum just outside of Quingdao - either way, we'd not see it again

D
David H
JB9

Post by JB9 »

I am keen. I have contacted the owner and considering how best to collect. You are welcome to crew or helm once back on the water!
Harrier 25
505 7163
Tctor68

Post by Tctor68 »

Hello all,
I'am dissapointed in this Classic sailing scene that I have only had " 1 " interest in this Lovely looking boat.
In the Classic Car world , this boat is an equivalent of an E type Jag, ( sporty and quick )
Being made in SO LOW numbers makes it really RARE to start with
and if it was a CAR the phone would be ringing off the hook.

I did not even put my location in to not put off enquiries.
But the one I did get seems, that the tankfull of fuel for pick up made it too expensive :shock:

I know there will be no class compition with the Daring unlike the Merlin Rocket, but it is a much more comfortable place to sit than alot of them like hours ontop of a gate!

Just for those that dont know what a Daring looks like, top have looks like a 505 and bottom like an old int 14.
I hope this does not have the same fate as the dinosaurs :cry:

By the way the boat is in Fife
ent228

Post by ent228 »

I'm sorry that there was only one person interested.

You raise interesting points about value, and I agree that if it had been a car then there might have been more interest. Unfortunately value is totally subjective as shown by the amazing prices paid for certain art works, for instance "The Scream" by Munch sold for $120million in 2012. Valuable to someone but I would certainly not want it anywhere in my house or to own it and so as an art work it is valueless to me.

Location, location, location. The first thing I did on seeing your message was to google the area code. So South Devon to Dunfermline is about 500miles, return of 1000 at 38mpg is 26gals at about £6/gal = approx £150 and the accomodation (getting old can't drive all day like I used to!) and time off work to collect and wear and tear on my ancient car, and then when I get it home it's going to need a load of Tlc probably a new cover, trolley and ropes etc, maybe £300 before it's in really good nick to sail, oh, and I forgot the insurance and the harbour fee and the berth fee, that's probably about another £100.

So that's something like £550-600 before I even get it wet. I expect that several other people may have had similar thoughts. So you can see that I would have to value it on my personal value scale at a least £550 even if it was free.

Currently even though I would love to have your Daring that love is not enough for me to value it at the above figure.

I do hope that you manage to find someone who will take it. It's a great boat.
cweed

Post by cweed »

I concur with Ent 228; when I salvaged my Finn it was only a190 mile round trip, but because it hadn't moved for 25 years I hired a car transporter with a winch. Just as well as not only did the shrubs have to be removed around it, but the winch was the only way of dragging out the decrepit trailer with boat to the road access. add to that the sourcing of a mast and boom, repair to a very tired sail, cover,new floor, etc, and basically it's a labour of love.

Regarding the Daring, when I googled Daring, it came up with the keelboat class, so perhaps a few photos would wet someones appetite, but as DavidH is amazed and saddened that there isn't a queue of people wanting to take it.........David, Here's your opportunity!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Cweed - I am already in the midst of a classic pocket rocket project and can confirm that they gobble up time and resource at am amazing rate! And add to that, I'm looking at another AND am heading up the Proctor 2018 celebrations.

Coming from the Netley/Weston area, I'd love the Daring and if I were not already full extended would jump at the chance of this.

I'd stress again that the point that I was trying to make was that some classic classes - or even just some boats within that genre - are lusted after in a way that is disproportionate to their value to the racing dinghy development narrative. There is no shortage of Mk IXs, IXbs, XIIs - and that is just in the merlin fleet. The lack of a taker for the Daring says something about the classic scene in the UK - quite what it says I'm not sure, but it is saying something!

D
David H
Tctor68

Post by Tctor68 »

I could email photo's to someone who would post them on here as I do not have a photobucket account anymore
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Tctor68 wrote:I could email photo's to someone who would post them on here as I do not have a photobucket account anymore
You can do it without a photobucket account.. you can upload them to techpowerup.org, and post urls from there...
Matt

Int Moth K2992
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The trouble is, not many think in terms of the classic boat narrative when buying a boat. We buy one we like, or fits overall budget, or suits the sailing we want to do, or happens to be in a neighbour's garden. Or the stars align and all of the above come true.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm not sure what the dynamic is Rupert - certainly the success of some classes becomes something of a driver for further growth - witnessed by not just the Merlins but the low rider classic moths, Finns and the Minisails - and now the F15s, 14s - whilst other classes can only look on in envy at theses success.

Part of it is the accessibility/availability of project boats but another factor has to be that ability to be a part of something bigger.... this is a factor that the classic moths have worked on really well. Moreover, boats such as the Moths and Minisails can be brought uup to a nice standard without a huge outlay

This is in stark contrast to he rarer beasts - you could spend a small fortune, only to end up with the 'Only Daring/Ghost/Unit in the village'

A shame for sure.

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It is a shame, and had I a big shed to keep a Daring in, I'd have braved the long drive, as I think C and I would have great fun in her. As it is, my garage barely fits a Firefly. Another reason why people buy what they do, I guess.

Mind, if I still had that big shed, I'd have several other wooden boats I've sold recently and lack space for any others, anyway!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Whilst you are right to say that circumstances play a large part in what we can do (as against what we would LIKE to do) it is hard to reconcile the fact that a boat such as the Daring (or a Ghost, Unit, Jacksnipe or Typhoon) won't take up any more space, nor resource, than a Merlin or 14. As I said, there is another dynamic at work here - not sure what it is but am working on it!

D
David H
Tctor68

Post by Tctor68 »

A small brief about it the Daring
As you are aware the boat is 50+ years old, I got it in 1979 and sailed it for a couple years until I got a Unicorn cat for racing up here.

The owner Before me brought it up from down south when they moved up to Fife.
Not sure if they were the original owner or when boat was built.

The Daring was stored up at a farm building until we moved in 92 and discovered it had been damaged , a puncture hole in the bottom!

In my garage started to repair by taking the board from the bottom, never got round to finishing it although I have the marine ply to fix it.

I hope someone will manage to save this lovely boat, I could not bring myself to break up.
I know it needs a bit of joinery work and looks worse than it actually is ,but pretty straight forward fix well worth saving as such a unique boat now.

It must be one of the last in the class to be built.
I can not stress that this is not a big job to rebuild as the wood is all in good condition!!
If you need more info or photo's please do not hesitate to ask.
I go offshore on the 1st Nov for 2 weeks.

I have taken some pics.
[image1.JPG] [image2.JPG] [image3.JPG] [image4.JPG] [image5.JPG] [image6.JPG] [image7.JPG] [image8.JPG] [image9.JPG]

Tried to upload using techpowerup.org using Ipad but no joy.
Had the pics uploaded but could not move them from there :-(
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Tor... If you want to mail me the pics, I'll upload them for you..

Matt

realnutteruk@gmail.com
Matt

Int Moth K2992