Proctor 2018 - the search is on

an area to discuss dinghy developments
davidh

Proctor 2018 - the search is on

Post by davidh »

Hi all,

All the detail about the various events will be posted over in the Events section on here, but running alongside the planning for Proctor 2018 - which WILL be going ahead at the Dinghy Show and Bosham, 2nd-3rd June, is a more general call for anything - be that photos, stories, memories, boats...anything means just that - that is Proctor related, then please let me know.

In so many ways Ian was one of our greatest innovators, with an incredible range of designs, from multihulls to cruisers, small tenders to the Tempest and of course, mastery of the restricted development genre. Masts, self bailers, centre mainsheets.... so much of what we have today had an input from Ian Proctor at some point.

I don't want to get dragged into expressing views on how little attention is paid by the sport today of the efforts and achievements of those who did so much to make things what they are, but the passing of the likes of Bill McCutcheon. Brian Saffery-Cooper and others just don't even get the briefest of passing mentions. We managed - in the end - to get the Holt centenary celebrated in some style, this is our chance to do the same for that other giant of his time.

So any help isn't really to help me - it is there for the greater good.

Cheers and thanks in anticipation

Dougal
David H
trebor

Re: Proctor 2018 - the search is on

Post by trebor »

David,
I will not be able to do boat show or Bosham event.
I will get pictures of Firebird.
I am prepared to loan my Sprint too, for display or for someone to sail, (boat is modernised though, probably to far for event).
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
aviateam

Post by aviateam »

Planning to have Wayfarer 3 at the dinghy show.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Robert, thank you.

Paul, ditto

Any other contributions to the 'pot' will be a real tell in telling a complete story

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Agamemnon is available for use at Bosham. I have had a full size (ie very large) sail made but have yet to rig out the mast properly. If anyone wants to use him/her they need to let me know well in advance so I can make it all fit together and test it. The boat is beautiful and rather going to waste at the moment.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nessa wrote:Agamemnon is available for use at Bosham. I have had a full size (ie very large) sail made but have yet to rig out the mast properly. If anyone wants to use him/her they need to let me know well in advance so I can make it all fit together and test it. The boat is beautiful and rather going to waste at the moment.
Hi Nessa,

Jonny Prentice'' daughter is a regular sailor in the vintage fleet at Bosham. If you were planning to get Aggamemnon down there I'm sure she would be happy to give you a bucket load of Aggie's past history. Pictures and all, juicy bits and all! (Could be as good as an uncensored best man speech. :oops: )

I would love an opportunity to sail a 14 like (him/her?) but would be soo scared of putting a scratch on her. I am local (ish) to Bosham and could be a shot notice crew. Boats like Aggie were designed for City bankers. Excellent weight carriers. ANy helms out there designed for this boat?
Michael Brigg
davidh

Post by davidh »

Michael,

as a long time supporter of the CBR at Bosham I know that they'd look to make a space for you!

D
David H
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Nessa, As I said before I would love the opportunity to sail “Aggie” at the Proctor event and could potentially team up with Lyndon if you would be happy to let two Moth sailors loose in her? If my retirement plans work out as I hope then I will have finished work before the end of April which will give me a bit more freedom to come over and help get her ready leading up to the event. Both Lyndon and I have a fair bit of experience in spinnaker/ trapeze boats and I have sailed a classic 14 in the past so we have a reasonable idea of what to expect! Let me know what you think anyway, but I think yours is a boat that should definitely be at Bosham for the Proctor Centenary.

Regards

Ian
davidh

Post by davidh »

Although I will once again be doing the Concours and am therefore not in the least bit biased, yes, I agree, Aggie HAS to be there! Not sure about the crew though, one bandit a boat is normally enough - two......well...what can one say!

See you all at the Show but yes - 'has to be done'

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Sounds like a plan. I am happy for you to pick the boat up, with all it’s bits, and take it home to put together if that helps. I’m happy to pay for parts too. I am actually in Austria for the D1 Gold Cup when the Proctor event is on, but I’m keen that Aggie gets sailed - she has sat in my shed for too long.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

That’s great, I really appreciate you letting me take the boat on your behalf. I will keep in touch so that nearer the time we can arrange a good time for me to come up and collect “Aggie” . I like the idea of being able to set her up here so I can take my time and familiarise myself with the layout and controls.
Cheers
Ian
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

How do we know which boats are invited? If Aggie is going I will take the original mast to be rigged out in readiness. Ian, I am coming to Oxford on the 7th April for the D one event, but that might be too early for you?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Here is an eligible cheapie for anyone so inclined, bit of a haul from Southport to Bosham:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Clas ... Swo~1atShn
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.