Merlin 1028

General chat about boats
sam mason

Merlin 1028

Post by sam mason »

Having identified the Merlin, got it in the workshop and pulled apart it's time to think about where I am going with it. I should be in a position to redeck later this week with a bit of luck . I have put in a half height bow tank mainly because the bow bag was a wreck and I had plenty of big offcuts laying about. This gives me the option of fitting a chute. Not totally 1960 I agree but I have seen pictures of earlier boats with retro fitted chutes so I don't see why not. What I need is some form of idea about where to put it. Some seem to be right at the bow some offset to port some to starboard . I am inclined toward the offset because the breast hook is sound and would need to come out for bow fitting. How big does the hole need to be? is one side preferable to the other?
Fairleads raise another question. Most of the fittings that came with the boat were in a box and there is no clear evidence as to where the fairleads were in the boat. Could someone with a Proctor Mk X11 please let me have the measurements from the tack fitting to the fairlead and the distance between fairleads also while you have the tape out could you measure centre of mast step to outside of the back transom.
I have no doubt that these are only the start of my problems but all help gratefully received
Thanks in anticipation
Sam
Ps To whom do I send my subs for this year!
Pat

Re: Merlin 1028

Post by Pat »

Our latest Merlin has a drawer for the kite - a wooden frame on runners with a canvas bag.
I would think that central is best but bags were correct for the period - 1066 is a good example. Also the modern Merlin sail cut is wrong for that period - the extended roach wasn't allowed until later so the shape is much more Albacore like. Have a look at pictures of 1066 on the website. Ignore any of 1065 though as it's basically a new boat with one old bit and a different hull shape pretending to be old and as cvrda define that as a "replica" so it doesn't qualify. It also has the modern wrong sail plan.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Thanks for that Pat. I wondered about bags but I have got some really nice decking ply which will be sympathetic to the rest of the boat and it would be a shame to cut two big holes in it! I am afraid that sails are going to be pretty much what is available second hand. The ravages of mice and poor storage have taken their toll on the one that came with the boat but the rest of it will be as close to period as I can get it although nearly all the fittings will have to be replaced. Free boat? a likely story!!
Sam
Pat

Post by Pat »

Additional thought - if you put a chute in, put in a stainless metal tube to act as the turning block for the halyard and kite. Ours are about an inch diameter and it must be totally smooth and no protruding screwheads or anything to snag the kite. This works well on both modern plastic and wooden boats.
However we have one boat - the wide Merlin - which has never had this and the wooden lower edge of the chute where the halyard turns, came with grooves up to a centimetre deep where the retrieval line has gouged through and they are deep enough to jam the halyard when it gets to the head of the kite!
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

I never would have thought of that. Its not a regular problem I often get with the albacore!! Thanks
sam mason

Post by sam mason »

Having sorted the woodwork and most of the varnish out ( pictures on F/B merlin revival page) I now turn my attention to fittings and rig. Not being well versed in modern thinking on the use of spinnakers who should hoist it helm or crew? The boat will be transom sheeted.
I have acquired a twin pole system which I have just about fathomed out but if anyone else has one do I need reaching hooks?
I still haven't worked out jib fairleads and it would seem I may have to redesign the jib but a clue as to how far from the centreline would give me a start
Thanks in advance
Sam
Pat

Post by Pat »

We do (or rather did since we haven't sailed a kite boat for a while) helm hoist (tiller between knees). Crew puts pole on first (just before top mark if on correct tack) then helm hoists as crew uses sheet & guy to control kite.
The Lark has twinning lines to control the guy - a line attached to a ring each side that the spinnaker sheets go through and is then pulled down to cleat by the shrouds - like a barber hauler for the kite. Works well as you can choose to pull it right down on a reach or let it go higher on run. Fat Merlin just has reaching hooks.
On the drop, crew keeps some tension on sheets as helm drops then pulls pole off. Without tension, kite goes under bow!
It's guaranteed to slow you down at first but we used to fly a kite even on Shearwater where there was almost no time between hoist and drop, especially when Laser sailors set the course :-)