Vagabond plans

General chat about boats
Fovargue-Davies

Vagabond plans

Post by Fovargue-Davies »

I'm seriously contemplating acquiring a Vagabond - but can't quite rule out building one instead. Does anyone know if the plans are still available, and if so, where from? The NMMC has a few bits and pieces - but apparently not the plans themselves. I've seen some photos of them on the Jack Holt Vagabond site, but they're apparently not available for sale.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Marc
davidh

Re: Vagabond plans

Post by davidh »

Marc,

I think you will find that the plans for the vagabond ARE at the NMM Falmouth. They had the whole lot of the Holt Collection go there in one large lot!

I have an email somewhere that was part of the NMM telling the world that they had al the plans BUT in typical fashion, they got it wrong and included a number of boats that were nothing at all too do with Holt.

If you do want to build, I will write to Jack's daughter on your behalf and get her permission for you to do so - as long as the rights remain with the Holt family (which they used to)!

Cheers

Dougal
David H
Fovargue-Davies

Post by Fovargue-Davies »

Hello Dougal,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've already spoken to the NMMC about the Vagabond, as well as a number of other Holt designs; they tell me that they have a box of material from Sue Holt in Canada, but they don't think they have the plans for her (the Vagabond, I mean!).

Given that I'm rather older than when I sailed Fireballs and 505s at Felixstowe Ferry in the '70's, I'm after something I can enjoy, taking into account increasing decrepitude... The Vagabond is in my view both prettier and roomier than the Heron, and deserves to live again - purely as a one off. I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Marc
Rockdoc21

Post by Rockdoc21 »

Old thread l know, but l have just acquired vagabond va239 l wondered if that sail number can be dated. Although an old lady, she is in remarkably original condition. From the Jack Holt builders plate to all the running gear and sail bag, she’s an excellent base for a restoration project. Trailer was almost as old as her and promptly fell apart when we moved. So my first plan is to get a road trailer (offers welcomed I’m in east Devon) and float her in a nearby lake to see if she leaks anywhere. After that I’ll run her as is for 2022 and get the sandpaper out later in the season. So if there is a register of this dinghy I’d much appreciate her being added.
Thanks