What Finn is this...?

an area to discuss dinghy developments
ScillyFinn

What Finn is this...?

Post by ScillyFinn »

I acquired this Finn on the Isles of Scilly - the only one here, I think. It was previously in the Midlands, I've been told.

It's been passed around a bit on the islands. A previous owner said it might be a Pearson. I can't find a maker's plate, mark or number anywhere on the hull or fittings though.

It's GRP, with a false floor from the aft deck to the centreboard case (not sealed, with through drains). It has low side tanks without hatches (which end below the side decks, which are suspended above the tanks), but no bow or stern tanks. The port and starboard decks are quite rounded, not angled. The seat pads are laced to the hull under the side decks.

The oddest feature (compared to other Finns) appears to be the area under the bow being almost fully sealed - it has an upright rectangular 'cut-out' section through which the control lines (and plenty of water when I capsize it) pass.

It has a mast step screw-control to move the stepping point forward and aft. There are 2x self-bailers adjacent to forward section of the false floor. These may be after-market - they're not the same size. The centreboard pin doesn't appear to be moveable to other positions.

There are 2x transom flaps, held in place with a cord to a fitting on the false floor. They don't appear to do very much - I rely on the self-bailers after the capsizes mentioned above...

The boat came with 2 sails - marked K29 and GBR540. Of course, they may not be originally associated with the boat. It has an aluminium Needlespar mast and boom.

I've recently renovated it and it's getting a new (to me) sail that might actually fit the mast properly.

It would be great to identify what make and possible age it might be. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?

Thanks - Stephen
PeterV

Re: What Finn is this...?

Post by PeterV »

It’s a Tiptree Finn, I believe. As far as I know they’re the only Finns where the side tanks finish below the side decks. My first Finn was a Tptree, K280, but it was too heavy in the ends to be very fast, particularly in any chop where it would pitch up and down a lot. However, they’re solid boats, like most Finns and last well. The numbers aren’t right, K29 is much too early and GBR540 much too late. The boat would have been built between 1967 and 1969, they built about 18 boats. The transom flaps will be useless, they always are on a classic Finn, I screwed mine shut. The cockpit floor is required by the rules.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash