Gp14 row locks

General chat about boats
Urr gee pee

Gp14 row locks

Post by Urr gee pee »

Hello forgive my noviceness!! But I received my rowlocks for my gp14. I'm very new to this even DIY work, but learning slowly! Do these just sit loose in brackets. Or do I put some sort of pin through ends. Thanks in advance!
SoggyBadger

Re: Gp14 row locks

Post by SoggyBadger »

Hopefully your rowlocks are metal (they're usually galvanised steel) otherwise they'll probably snap at the least convenient time. You'll need a pair of suitably-sized rowlock sockets [1]. Normally these are mounted on the side with a through hole drilled to allow the rowlock to seat properly. You'll need to glue a reinforcing block under the deck perhaps 1/2 inch thick and probably at least 4 inches by 4 inches but I think it would be best to have the block the full width of the underside of the deck.

[1] there seem to be two sizes/thicknesses of galvanised rowlock generally available. Make sure you get the socket which matches yours.
Best wishes

SB
Urr gee pee

Post by Urr gee pee »

Thanks soggybadger. Yes they are galvanised with sockets.
Urr gee pee

Post by Urr gee pee »

The long part of rowlocks the stalk has a small hole in end. Is that for a retaining pin do u think. I've tried uploading pics from eBay. But it's saying files too large. So it's bit awkward to explain
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Urr gee pee wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:30 pm The long part of rowlocks the stalk has a small hole in end. Is that for a retaining pin do u think. I've tried uploading pics from eBay. But it's saying files too large. So it's bit awkward to explain
No, the hole is for attaching a thin lanyard so that you don't lose the rowlock overboard (very relevant for a sailing dinghy which could potentially capsize). I use a 2mm line. Currently it's secured with a bowline but I think I'm going to change to a whipping.
Best wishes

SB
Urr gee pee

Post by Urr gee pee »

Thanks SB the clears that up. Much to learn. :D