Tempest - free to good home

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
gbr1084

Tempest - free to good home

Post by gbr1084 »

Protem composite - Copy.jpg
Tempest 579 (KH4 & K4). Complete sailing boat free to a good home. Search for ‘Tempest’ on CVRDA page for background on older tempests – posted this week. No trailer or trolley included but options at the bottom. Storage cover not included, but there is a mast up cover, and the boat can be delivered.
Tempests are essentially sailed like a large trapeze dinghy but with no centreboard case to fall over. Raced and cruised (large dry cockpit). A bigger osprey in many ways, and Ian Proctors 'Peregrine' was the boat in between. When you have a suitable sailing area and storage sorted, sailing can be easy and mostly dry. Some are launched daily, others sit on (non-drying) moorings - the self-draining cockpit means no bailing when it rains too. Tempests have a 200kg+ keel and are self-righting under most circumstances so you are spared of any swimming, but will capsize (if you go out in a lot of wind & especially put the spinnaker up & broach!).
Boat was built in 1971 by Dubdam in the Netherlands, for a Hong Kong Olympic hopeful, and shipped out to Hong Kong. I acquired the boat in 1995 and bar a couple of seasons in late 90’s I’ve had it ever since. Very well built and surprisingly for its age, minimum weight. No wobbly cockpit floor, or rotting plywood inside the hull. Tempests have a single point lift system like many keelboats (the usual launch method in Europe, whereas here we are still mostly in the slipway age).
The decks are original gelcoat, topsides are painted (re-painted last year, transom is original gelcoat – so you can see the boat is painted close to the original colour), and the underside is Gelshield 200 epoxy - applied in 1994 with no sign of any issue after nearly 30 yrs. Wood rubbing strait is mostly original, and was varnished last year. The keel was refurbished in 1996, sheathed in epoxy, and barely touched since. Main & jib seen in photo, and a spinnaker. Cover is worn but whole.
• Won’t be transferred to anyone until they have sailed the boat, and have a viable sailing plan for it.
• Dismantlers – I know exactly how to scrap a tempest (having scrapped 17), and I am well aware of the scrap value, but don’t scrap boats with a long future.
• Scouts, Sea Cadets etc. Stick with Ian Proctors wonderful Bosuns, and Wayfarers.
There are various trailer and trolley options that others could help you with – what you need depends where and how you intend sailing. The trailer in the photos could be available by separate negotiation, if you have a need for that sort of trailer. German built in 1982 (has paperwork), apparently never been in the water – galvanised, long sail box & tube, recent tyres, brake cables, rear lighting clusters & has a spare wheel. Would be utterly wasted if butchered to allow launching, or left to rot as a yard trailer. Many older tempests rarely move by road, and if that’s you, the above trailer would be wasted.
Boat is in Stranraer, and a long way from most. If you are anywhere in the south of England I can put you in touch with other tempest sailors around Portsmouth Harbour, if you want to see some others, closer to home. As background, KH4 is one of 3 older tempests I've had for a long while, but one needs to go, and its the most aesthetic of the 3 too.
International Tempest x5 1969,71,72,91 & 2008
Jollyboats J43 & J332
Wooden Wayfarer
Streaker 125