CLEAR PENETRATING EPOXY SEALER

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
chris

Post by chris »

CPES which is a trade name for basically what it says sounds an interesting product for timber with some/a-lot of rot. Anyone tried it?
Is available in UK? Supplier?
For info on the product...
http://www.rotdoctor.com/boat/02sealer.html
Chris
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris
I assume that this stuff is the same as SP300. If it is I,ve used it alot on various Hornets and can recommend it as a primer. You can also achieve a similiar material by thinning epoxy with the approved thinners. Sp will advise as to which thinner to use. If then Glueing with epoxy I've found that the joint is alot stronger by priming with this material. As for strenthing rotted wood cut out all the rot as it will still remain and be active. See Cvrda links pages about treating rot first.
Regards Alan Williams
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks Al, I'm told that the difference between this stuff and thinning ordinary epoxy to help penetration is that thinned epoxy will still form a hard un-stretchy mass. CPES will apparently stay supply and slightly elastic which is what sounds so good about it for a clinker/ribbed hull.

We are having to replace much timber on merlin 36 but if we take everything suspect away we are left with half a rib and small peice of centreboard! I suppose I'm thinking of where the balance between conservation and renovation is.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Bollocks

I wrote an answer to this....and its got lost in the ether.....at least I can't see it now.

If it does not turn up....I will have another go.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Chris this stuff sounds interesting. If you find a supplier could you let me know as the dolphins carvel and this sounds as if its the ideal material for use with real wood boats.
Cheers Al