early albacore

share hints, tips and experiences
pongo

early albacore

Post by pongo »

hello all, I have just bought an early albacore it has no built in boincey just a bow bag and space for bags under the side benches.I hope to race the old girl at lyme, in the event of a capsize is this setup going to be enough to keep her afloat? the other albs I have sailed have all got built in tanks .any thoughts? cheers john
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Depends......on lots of things.....

how big your bags and how much buoyancy you feel you need to be safe.

If you have nice big bags (well attached) you shouldn't have too much problem.

But on the other hand do expect to float lower in water with bags than with tanks.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

I used to have an old Albacore (999) and there were no tanks. I had a bow bag, one under the rear deack which was large, and one under each bench. Personally I would add the under bench bags.
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
pongo

Post by pongo »

thanks.the side benches need some work,and as i do not have the bags i am thinking about putting fronts on them ,turning them into tanks. I'v got a sneaky feeling this won't be that easy!. would this help make the floor stiffer? cheers john
Steve Bailey

Re: early albacore

Post by Steve Bailey »

Hello All,
Here goes for first post on cvrda site . . .
I bought A999 off Trevor C a few years ago, but never quite managed to capsize her (metal plate helped). The friend I sold her to has not capsized her either.
However I have refurbished A195, and capsized her quite frequently. No tanks, two large (190kg) triangular bags stuffed under the foredeck, two 30kg bags under each side bench and two 45kg bags under the aft deck - not often seen on Albs, indeed A999 is the only other one I've seen.
She rights easily enough but very full, and one of the triangular bags tore its fixing lugs off at the last unscheduled swim (international champs in USA, even managed not to come last).
I wish now I'd changed the seats into tanks when rebuilding her, and if there's still time I would suggest Pongo you think seriously about it. You're right it would also stiffen the floor a lot, another reason I wish I had.
All the best
Steve
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Hello Steve, glad to hear A999 is stll going well.
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Steve Bailey

Post by Steve Bailey »

Hello Trevor,
A999 is a beautiful boat, the varnished topmast is the envy of the River Trent. Except perhaps the Laser sailors on it. When I get back to the UK I'll see if I can organise some photos for you.
Cheers
Steve
By the way I've been told the reef points on the mainsail - a North one I think - that I inherited from you make it illegal for racing. Not that I or anyone at our club could give a stuff.
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

Reef Points - I had them added by a local sail repairer for cruising purposes and had not really considered that a series of holes would be treated in a Draconian manner. I thought they were Banks sails.

Trevor
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140