"Firefly for sale on ebay"

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
stu
Site Admin

Post by stu »

<i><b>This is a topic brought over from the OLD forum</b></i>

"Firefly for sale on ebay"
Posted by Garry on 31.08.2004 at 15:41:5
Readership 44
PREVIOUS | NEXT | FOLLOW UP | INDEX
There is an old repaired firefly for sale on ebay. It looks as if it has been repaired with isopon on the hull - any ideas as to how to effect a neater repair than this?

Follow up from: chris - 31.08.2004 - 17:31:17
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try redecking!
isopon totally useless on boats in my opinion. It doesn't make a true bond with timber especially is soft or damp.
For quicker repair...You could pick it all out, make sure what wood is there is sound and dry, use epoxy, first neat to 'wet' the wood then mixed with filler/powder as a paste. (apply while the first neat stuff is still wet), sand down and touch up with varnish. Quicker but not so tidy as new plywood!

Follow up from: chris - 31.08.2004 - 17:32:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try redecking!
isopon totally useless on boats in my opinion. It doesn't make a true bond with timber especially if soft or damp. Just encourages rot.
For quicker repair...You could pick it all out, make sure what wood is there is sound and dry, use epoxy, first neat to 'wet' the wood then mixed with filler/powder as a paste. (apply while the first neat stuff is still wet), sand down and touch up with varnish. Quicker but not so tidy as new plywood!

Follow up from: mark collyer - 31.08.2004 - 17:36:46

Trouble is.....the repairs are on the hull

Follow up from: Rupert - 31.08.2004 - 18:14:44

A sharp Stanley knife and veneers laid in. Not as difficult as it sounds!

Follow up from: Ed - 31.08.2004 - 19:27:34

Not only pretty easy....but one of the best fun and most rewarding boat jobs I have done.
I wrote far too much once about how to go about doing it....but to be honest it is pretty obvious.

the only difficult thing is to find some agba that is a fair match in colour. This can be very hard.

Last time I looked, Robbins in Bristol had some....in fact I really must go back and grab some whilst they still have stock.

cheers

ed Bremner
The only canoe sailor in MY village too !

8) OK K1958
8) Mirror 34459

http://www.stuandliz.co.uk

make bow waves not chat