Are there many old Albacores here

an area to discuss dinghy developments
al21

Post by al21 »

Hi folks,

Having recently signed up to this forum I thought I'd best say hello and ask a question or two.

Are there many old Albacores being sailed at your events? I'm interested in coming to your meet at Clywedog this year and was wondering if I'd be the only one? I've seen a couple of names on this forum I'm familiar with from the Albacore Assication, are there many others?

I've been the owner of AL21 for a few years now and would like to meet up with others with similar ideas about sailing. I'm not a great enthusiast for racing, but will take a spin around the cans occasionally.

When I get some decent photos of AL21 I'll be sure to post some for your site.

Regards,

Al
Albacore Al 21 - "Elizabeth"
Old Town Penobscot 17 - "Jus Chillin"
Embassy 264 - "Lucky Mallard"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Al21, welcome to the cvrda! We have had a few Albacores at our events, but not in the numbers I'd like to see! They are an ideal cvrda boat, as changes to the class have made it impossible for the old boats to compete on level terms. Its very unusual to find such an old Albacore, and as a fellow Fairey marine sailor (I've got a Firefly) I look forward to sailiong with you!
Rupert
Trevor C

Post by Trevor C »

I have Alb 1027 having sold 999. I do post on the Alb website from time to time and have not been to a CVRDA event but will do this year. I also have a Pegasus.

Welcome
Uffa Fox Jolly Boat - J9
Mirror - 34359
Hornet - K140

Please see http://www.justgiving.com/160miles for my charity ride to Paris in May
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

We do get a few Albis to our events. We had two at Roadford last year.....one at Mayflower...not as many as I would like, but we do get em.

As Rupert says, there will certainly be a few other Fairey Boats. Not sure if my Jollyboat will make it this year, but if not then I will come with an Int 14 or a Firefly.

Hope to see you there.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
al21

Post by al21 »

Many thanks for the warm welcome, much appreciated.

I recognised your name Trevor. Glad to see you still have an old Albacore and hope to sail with you sometime in the future.

Over the last year or so there seems to have a number of posts to the National Albacore Association (NAA) Forum from people with very old Albs. Even the where-abouts of AL1 which was racing as recently as the early 80's I believe. I'm sure I've seen posts from owners of AL7, AL12 too. There is a page on the NAA site covering the renovation of AL53 also. I'm sure there must be others. All obvious boats to attend CVRDA events, or maybe they already do.

There is a registry of Albs at http://www.albacore.org/registry/ you may need to sign up to view this, but if any other Albacore owners here read this then maybe they would like to add their boats to the list.

I'd be quite interested to track down my first Alb AL716 which I sold to a member of Pagham Yacht Club, Sizzle was a really nice boat in which I had many many hours of pleasure sailing in Chichester Harbour. However, after selling her I was told she was only bought for the road trailer I had built so suspect she may not have received the best of care. I hope she was quickly sold on to someone with more interest in Albs.

I had a good read through the hints and tips pages yesterday and feel encouraged to try next winter to return AL21 to an all varnish finish. She currently sport about an extra fifty pounds of paint which is like travelling back through time as you pass various layers and colours.

Enough from me for the moment.

Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to meeting you all and having the chance to sail with you.

Al
Albacore Al 21 - "Elizabeth"
Old Town Penobscot 17 - "Jus Chillin"
Embassy 264 - "Lucky Mallard"
chris

Post by chris »

I have AL 12-- (can't remember the exact number.) waiting for time to restore her. Certainly hope it's done this year, but then I said that two years ago. Plenty to do - transome, decks etc.
The rest of the time I sail merlins 6 or 507 but I like the Albacore idea for more open water.
Chris Barlow
keithr

Post by keithr »

We had a number of modern albacores to our regatta last year from Tewkesbury so hopefully we can persuade a few eligible ones up to the Nationals.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird