An original RNSA. Pricey but Soo rare.

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Michael Brigg

An original RNSA. Pricey but Soo rare.

Post by Michael Brigg »

It is said that these were mostly burned in a classic act of idiocy at Dartmouth College.

"Get some new boats old man."
"Yes sir, What shall I do with the old ones."
"I don't know, just get rid of them... Burn them."
...and he did.

All that wild grown rare mahogany went up in smoke like all the ivory in Africa.

It all part of the same Englishness associated with the "Who will rid me of this troublesome priest?" quote.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-classic- ... 4adf508bba

Pricey, but a bullet proof boat and a piece of naval history for anyone who wants their own museum, as well as being the ultimate all purpose family cruiser dinghy.
Michael Brigg
SingTheNightSong

Re: An original RNSA. Pricey but Soo rare.

Post by SingTheNightSong »

i used to sail them at Dartmouth in 1964 - very handy on the river but a little outclassed for the sea
such a pity they are now so rare - very common in the 60's - every ship had at least one : for crew recreation - and most TS's had some (Ganges etc)
peter
clibb

Post by clibb »

When I was at school on the Worcester we had four of these, one for each division. They got the ultimate in TLC, varnish stripped each year, and then recoated. We used to race them against each other, and against 'proper dinghies' at Erith Sailing Club, going up on the flood, doing a couple of races, then back on the ebb. The they were replace with GP14's in about 1960, much better performance, but not the same. The GP's never got the same treatment.
Nick
timeandtideboats

Post by timeandtideboats »

Having had a good look around the internet I have only found a couple of RNSA 14' that have been offered for sale. So they don't come up very often. Therefore, I am really pleased to have secured a lovely 1967 version built for family cruising in mahogany on oak. I thought others would like to see some pictures so I have put them up on our website at http://www.timeandtideboats.com.
I can honestly say I have not seen another RNSA in such lovely condition. We will also have plenty more rare and classic racing dinghies available at our auction this year at Beale Park on 3rd June. So do let me know if you are searching for a hard to find classic racing dinghy and perhaps we can help. In the meantime I hope you enjoy the pictures