Megamoth

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Nessa

Megamoth

Post by Nessa »

Presumably not allowed, since it is neither old nor lost..
image.jpg
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Re: Megamoth

Post by Rupert »

No, but looks fun!
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

But it has no Class Assoc. so could it be defined as a lost Class. Only a few have ever been built so it's practically a one off.
Cheers Al
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Don't we have a 1985 design date cut off for lost classes?

Personally, if I was running a meeting I'd be happy to see the boat, but probably would put a set of brackets round the results and exclude from the main prizes.

Looks to me like a boat that will be happier racing against boats of similar vintage - maybe you should contact the EPS class and see if you can join in. They have a small Open at Whitefriars 1st weekend of July, alongside the Minisails.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm sorry Nessa, but it isn't the true MegaMoth.... for the simple reason there IS a real MegaMoth - I was with it yesterday, I've pictures but there is an embargo on publishing them.

If you took an Imperium Scow, stretched it out to 23ft loa (with beam remaining in proportion) - build it in FRP, monster rig and L profile foils (that protrude outwards) and there you have it. It is such a clone of the tunnel scow that you have that cheeky double chine at the stern and the 'hump in the middle' sheer line. Now I was expected an MR like mess of dynemma knitting, but you've got more bits of string in an RS 200. My first thoughts were 'YW Scow/Calypso' (Calypso being the big Peter Milne F'ball) but no... it is a mega tunnel scow. If you stood 50m further back, it was only the reference points that told you how big it was...in the pics, if you crop everything else out... well, you'll all see soon!

So Megamoff does indeed live....but I'll second all the other comments that we do want to see it sailing!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Is this boat brand new, David?
Rupert
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Nessa,

Like it! More info please :D
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/index. ... stealth-14

It's a Richard Woods designed Stealth Nigel, beefed up with a monster fat head, fully battened main, must be around 12 sq m sail area. I sailed it again yesterday with a better rudder and the mast more upright, which seemed to get rid of the weather helm issue, but there is still plenty to do - pro grip, toe straps, proper controls all need adding.

It is quite moth like in its handling; tippy, but not too too bad, accelerates quickly and doesn't like turning corners. It also like to spit you out as you attempt a graceful landing. What s good for me is that I can largely keep my legs comfy when hiking so kind to the knees, though there isn't a lot of room under the boom.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks Nessa - that explains why googling "megamoth" only turned up info on some computer game and a variety of shark with a big mouth :oops:

Looks a lot of fun (and a bit Battlestar Galactica)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Dougal's mega moth is on Sailing Anarchy. Really is a giant Imperium Scow, but with added bits, like foils!
Rupert
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Nessa, David and all,

Is this what you mean by the Megamoth?

http://youtu.be/fcNT4kL5Vu8

Having had small look at photos, I felt that 'teramoth' might be more appropriate!

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks Max,

looks a lot of fun :D

Would like to have seen how it tacks and gybes though. They seemed to have missed those in the video :shock:
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Nigel wrote:Would like to have seen how it tacks and gybes though. They seemed to have missed those in the video :shock:
Yes, it does make you wonder though - is there a reason for that? ;)

Cheers....
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

From my perspective, I would really want to understand how practical it was in an everyday sailing environment before spending the hard earned on one.

I would like to see how the foils are raised and lowered on the go - picked up a hint of a control line to raise them but cannot be sure. Also what the tacking a gybing drills are. Do you have to pull the foils up to tack? Can you do a foiling gybe?

The other thing that would make it far more useable from my perspective would be a lifting keel (like an Orion or a K1). I think that would make a massive difference to usability a club level.
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Nigel wrote:From my perspective, I would really want to understand how practical it was in an everyday sailing environment before spending the hard earned on one.

I would like to see how the foils are raised and lowered on the go - picked up a hint of a control line to raise them but cannot be sure. Also what the tacking a gybing drills are. Do you have to pull the foils up to tack? Can you do a foiling gybe?

The other thing that would make it far more useable from my perspective would be a lifting keel (like an Orion or a K1). I think that would make a massive difference to usability a club level.
Exactly; although I wouldn't really be in a position to get one anyway (at least not as a student!).

I just admire it from the perspective of people actually going out and doing something rather than just talking of it.

Certainly an interesting concept....
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337