Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

General chat about boats
neil
Site Admin

Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by neil »

Get ready to empty your piggy banks https://www.sweeney-kincaid.com/Sales/S ... EF,J8J3F,1
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
cweed

Re: Roll up, roll up, buy an entire museum collection

Post by cweed »

The last few pages are real history, esp the early IC, and the 14's from the 20's.

Can there be enough takers to save the quantity on offer?
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

If I was 10 years younger I'd be interested in Medurka, having owned another of the 3 Uffa 1947 boats. But, all those boats need loads of work. They seem to have reserves on them, so will be interesting to see how much they go for. Just hope some of them see the water again

chris

Post by chris »

The lack of photographs or even a half decent description must surely ring the death nell for some of these as some have nothing more than a name to help you.
Now to consult the piggy bank...
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

chris wrote:The lack of photographs or even a half decent description must surely ring the death nell for some of these as some have nothing more than a name to help you.
Now to consult the piggy bank...

I have been to see these (Lowestoft) today and have a few general and a few more specific photos. I can take specific pictures of boats if anyone needs but I'd urge a visit if you are serious. Most are in surprisingly good condition and very few are 'basket cases'. I believe a few are 'reserved' for original owners' families. For me there was even a boat I had sailed in...Gull number one which I think is going back to the Proctor family.

07771 912774 if you want to talk...phone doesn't work very well at home so best during the day.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

E1 Enterprise is clearly a Finn and it looks like a wood and Needlespar mast lying next to it. Lot 309, does anyone know any more?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Found it now on the NSBR, Finn 88, which my records say is Sfinx, registered in 1961 and built by Fairey.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

PeterV wrote:E1 Enterprise is clearly a Finn and it looks like a wood and Needlespar mast lying next to it. Lot 309, does anyone know any more?
Glad it wasn't just me who thought it was a very odd looking Enterprise.

Just a heads up if anyone is thinking of bidding, have a good look at the Ts&Cs. Buyers premium of 15%. £100 (returnable) bond required before bidding. VAT will also be charged on purchase price and Buyers premium.

Also looks like theres accession issues with some lots so may be pulled (as happened at Beale Park)

dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

The listings are pretty flawed, it seems. I saw it after I had looked at the boats and struggled to make sense of it but am happy to go and photograph and report on any of these...it's only a few miles from where I live. I have tried (and seem to be failing) to add a photograph to this thread but, once again - pm or phone me and I can send via phone, Whatsap or email.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Tony - the Marina Manager - has asked me to publish his quote on accessing pictures of all the boats, sorry if this duplicates any other posts - he has been talking to a few people I think.

Details of all boats in the collection can be found on the National Small Boat Register (https://nmmc.co.uk/explore/databases/na ... -register/) . . . . clicking on "view the database here" will open a new window and typing "EISCA" in "leave blank to see all records" will bring up the entire collection (with photos).

The collection in Lowestoft can be viewed most times, Tony a really helpful guy.
ent228

Post by ent228 »

Sweeney-kincaid..........and my browser (chrome) blocks it because of security issues, probably a good thing given the name.
dronskiuk

Post by dronskiuk »

Have managed to put some general pics on the CVRDA Facebook site for anyone interested - let me know if you need specifics.

Tony - the marina manager - is also willing to take pics - he was responsible for the inventory listing so, whilst not an avid dinghy sailor, has a pretty good idea of what's there.
JimC

Post by JimC »

neil wrote:... Mederka, having owned another of the 3 Uffa 1947 boats.
Mederka has her name on some of the major IC trophies, it would be a pity if she was lost. Apparently Uffa messed up and she had to be bumped in order to measure.
Petej

Post by Petej »

Oh dear , why are these being sold off ?

Some great boats there but the Lot descriptions are too poor to bid on , no mention of rig , sails etc with the dinghies

This sad collection is a great example of how you folk in the CVRA are way better custodians of classic boats than a
museum

Peter
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

JimC wrote: Mederka has her name on some of the major IC trophies, it would be a pity if she was lost. Apparently Uffa messed up and she had to be bumped in order to measure.
All three boats, Storm Petrel/Mederka/Rannoch, were a little narrow and had false chines added to measure. Rannoch's were removed but I have a 1950's photo of them in place (also have a lovely Ron Head pic of all three boats together). I believe Storm Petrel is still in the Windermere museum (though not on display). When I sold her Rannoch went back to the IoW.