Mast carrying on vans

General chat about boats
PeterV

Mast carrying on vans

Post by PeterV »

We're wondering about down sizing our van to something like a VW hard top, perhaps a Topaz, but not sure about mast transport. I'm not too keen on the masts sticking out the back of the boat by about a metre, nor a very tall mast support. Is there any reliable way of carrying masts on top of this type of van?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Alan P.

Re: Mast carrying on vans

Post by Alan P. »

When I used to have a type 2 bay window VW camper and used to trail an OK to CVRDA and opens. I sourced some universal commercial roof bars that fitted. I put the mast on the roof. It did over hang at the rear but as the OK was on the back this was not a danger to other road users. The pop top roof could still be raised up between the bars when the mast was off the van.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Julian

Post by Julian »

hi,

Just like to boast, that we have successfully, and without encountering the displeasure of any form of mirror shaded, handgun toting authority, neither on autobahn nor on autostrada, towed the Flying Dutchman around Europe, from Hungary to the Algarve, to Denmark to the Italian Alps.

This behind our wonderful hotel Volkswagen, a Trident, the smaller brother of the putative Topaz - and thoroughly recommended too! This required the mast to extend rearward beyond the trailboard by approximately the aforementioned metre. We have a bright orange mast foot condom, manufactured by young mistress Barlow of this parish. The mast support holds the mast head at the same level as the standard van roofline, and about 200 mm aft of it, to give reassurance when encountering ferry ramps etc.

The relative proportions of mast, boat, trailer and van may be different in world of ?Finns?, but I have never felt uneasy about travelling like this with the FD. If you do feel the need to carry the mast on the van, I would suggest on one side of the hightop, I often see boards or kayaks carried this way, so it must be practical. The Trident roofline is certainly not flat, as a larger van might be, so providing chocks on top might be a bit of a laugh.

Hey, Happy New Year to all who have epoxy in their beards, and hope to see you at Clywedog this year.

Julian
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Thank you Julian, perhaps I shouldn't worry about the mast overhang.

I haven't grown a beard since my last submarine patrol but I'm also deeply into epoxy, trying to fix a new deck on before the season starts.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Woods Designs

Post by Woods Designs »

overhang "aft" is not usually a problem if you fly a red flag. The bow overhang is the problem. It has to be under 1m, and basically as short as possible. Think pedestrian crossings, never mind traffic lights. Also consider kayaks and rowing skiffs that are routinely carried on car roofs

Mike Scott delivered a I14 mast for me on a 2CV

Richard Woods
Attachments
i14 mast Mike Scott300.jpg
(42.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Pat

Post by Pat »

We do the overhang with the Albacore mast and put the heavy end on the mast support.

I've made a top of the mast bag (like a minature sail bag) from dayglow orange material and sewn red dangling strips of fabric into the ends as a marker flag.

We also strap a cycle rear light onto the end of the mast which helps with visibility.

The biggest problem with it all is that it is a magnet for Audi drivers who just cannot decide which of their four rings to hoopla the mast with :D
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Not particularly relevant (but nor am I).

A few years back when we used to sail that (a Winkle Brig) on Rudyard Lake (after which Mr and Mrs Kipling named their son).

Overall length a little on the long side but the camper's brakes would get somewhat warm on the Macclesfield to Whaley Bridge road.

ImageCH015 by dralowid, on Flickr

I find moving masts around on a trailer without a boat the worst, one starts to wonder about 'air draught'.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Oh Michael, that's no way at all to treat a type 2 !!. That lump was far far too heavy for it. Poor thing. I'm surprised you had any braking power at all let alone getting "warm". Drums rear,discs front ( face lift model this one) and no servo assistance folks. Anticipation becomes second nature.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Pat

Post by Pat »

That trailer with the extended bar between boat and van is similar to that which Sandy's son has - he had the draw bar extended to tow behind a big camper and it's awful!

Don't do it! I'm sure someone here can explain the physics of it but the whole unit loses stability, even with a Wayfarer!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Alan, the best training for anticipative (?) braking is an Austin Seven...and in those day a camper was just a camper.

The extended trailer bar was the builders solution to trying to keep the towing car's brakes dry when launching. It would have been easier to shorten it, remove the bowsprit and re-balance the load. The whole thing cured me of any desire to go trailer sailing.

Towing dinghies behind something with a high roof is a bit problematic. What do others do? Put the mast on the roof? Have a big mast crutch? Stick with a gunter rig? It would be good to know, we've just rejoined the camper owning fraternity with a VW t25.
Tideway 206
11+
JimC

Post by JimC »

Mast on roof rack is my choice.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

The rules on Racing Shells (eg Sculling boats) are here: (Scroll down to page 122...

https://www.britishrowing.org/upload/fi ... riving.pdf

...and apply equally to sailing masts.

The key is to mark the ends with a flag at the back and I use a reflective cone (as found on an old traffic cone) for the front.
Michael Brigg
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Thank you Michael, good to see all the info in one place.

One thing that is not mentioned is tyre age. Trailer tyres can look fine when ancient, plenty of tread etc but sometimes you can see cracking in the tread grooves or walls which is presumably the beginning of the end.

I think that somewhere on the tyre is a 4 digit code, for example '1112' which would mean manufacture November 2012.

I don't think that there is a specific law regarding tyre age beyond a catch all 'in good condition' etc.

Replacement trailer tyres/wheels and trolley tyres/wheels are cheap and generally of very poor quality, arguably worse than your 20 year old examples...but who knows?

(will start a separate thread re trolley tyres)
Tideway 206
11+
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Do remember that in France the rules are much tighter on overhangs. Check (with AA or RAC for advice.)

There is a strict limit on how much the load overhangs both the Axle (front and back) and the lighting board, A pain in the neck for rowing shells but most dinghies on a trailer (including the mast() will be OK.
Michael Brigg
LASERTOURIST

Post by LASERTOURIST »

Hello,
Rules for overhang in France are not very different, only there should be no overhang at all in front of the car.
At the back of the car an overhang of anything between 0 and 1 metre supposes no special marking and between 1 and 3 Metres overhang a red marking (preferably a red reflector triangle like the side makings on trailers) by day and a red light by night is compulsory .
Overhang of more than 3 M is forbidden.

It is a bit silly if you carry a long mast or a folded delta plane type hang glider. (the flex is no good for the mast or delta spars),some forward overhang would be better.

When i had to carry a pair of hobie cat 16 masts without trailer i was just within the limit with my Renault 21 Nevada (savanna in GB) or my Peugeot 406 Estate....for one long travel i did just as the hang gliders do: use an aluminium ladder tied to the roof rack and a strut made of a broken section of aluminium windsurf mast on top of the trailor hook and tightly lashed to a ladder step.

Can add two pre stretch lines from the ladder to some fired points of the chassis if you find some access point (not easy on modern cars) and use a loop and purchase plus half hitches to make them taut and further limit lateral sxwaying.