Free project: Vintage N12 - 2285 *Now rehomed*

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
SailingPete

Free project: Vintage N12 - 2285 *Now rehomed*

Post by SailingPete »

I have a National 12 dinghy Walk-Away 2285 available for free as a project, located in Worcestershire, WR15.

I would prefer if someone can restore and use the dinghy instead of breaking it for parts, it is a complete with sails and rigging. It is all wood mainly, plywood with clinker construction. The N12 database says Walk-Away, designed by: G. F. M. Walker in 1965.

The hull has some historic repairs and needs restoration. The paint and varnish have come off in places as I had a prod, poke, and scrap as well as removing some loose putty from an old repair to examine the hull. I am not experienced in dinghy restoration, but it needs more than a new coat of paint and varnish.
The transom has a crack, and the wood has gone soft around a drain hole.
The gunnels near the transom need repair and the softer inlay wood has rotted in places.
The bow has suffered at the very front from what I presume is water damage with the deck lifting there.

Includes rigging and sails with two aluminium masts, one boom, one main sail numbered 2285 and two jibs, one of which has a short tear.

The rudder has a joint which needs regluing but otherwise appears in good condition compared to the rest.

It is currently on a combi trailer; the launching trailer is suffering from rust and the road trailer likely needs a service. Both trailers can be included if needed but unsure of the current road worthiness.

Unfortunately, I have never sailed it and so cannot comment on the handling or character.

More details or photos are available on request, viewings welcome.

It is also listed elsewhere but I will mark the thread as taken when it is gone.