What dinghy?

General chat about boats
dan214

What dinghy?

Post by dan214 »

Hi,

I used to have an Enterprise but work and having a child got in the way of sailing so I sold her a couple of years ago. Now my son will be 4 this year, I want to start sailing again and take him with. So I'll effectively be sailing single handed, or at least for a while.

I want something more stable than the Enterprise, I'm not interested in racing, I'm interested in just cruising around. The reservoir where I would like to keep the boat, from the waters edge to the dinghy storage is about 60 yards up hill, so weight is something I'm conscious about, but maybe I'd be asking too much for a stable + lightweight dinghy? I could pull the Enterprise up by myself, but it wasn't exactly an easy task.

I have been looking at the Solo, they have the benefit of being light, but not sure what they are like to sail and their stability? And I have also been looking at the Leader a lot, The leader looks a great, stable boat with the only downside being that they're a little heavier than the Enterprise. I definitely don't want a Mirror.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? And can anybody give me a comparison between an Enterprise and the other dinghies I mentioned, Like the difference in stability on the water etc.

Thank you.
STEVEB

Re: What dinghy?

Post by STEVEB »

Graduate?
STEVE
Mermaid 137
Laser 41420
Streaker 1331
dan214

Post by dan214 »

They are nice and light. What are they like stability wise? I'll also be looking to sail along the coast.

I really would like a Wayfarer, I would just seriously struggle with the reservoir where I want to store the dinghy.
dan214

Post by dan214 »

I guess, with weight comes stability? I accept a capsize as a possibility, but I'm seeking the lowest possibility of a capsize.

A GP14 is somewhere between an Enterprise and a Wayfarer as far as weight goes, and what I've read, they are a stable boat?
dan214

Post by dan214 »

I've also been looking at the Heron, they are very light, but from what I've been reading, also very stable and not easy to capsize.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

If your are thinking in terms of a Heron, how about a Gull? Any of the incarnations are gentle creatures with a really good turn of speed surprisingly. Always sailed mine ( a MK3 and now a MK6) single handed and never considered reefing even in some pretty lively conditions. Weight about 88kg so not too bad. Stability does come at a weight premium. Very popular so quite easy to sell on when the time comes.

As suggested, the Graduate , although you need to keep an eye on the weather to sail one single handed I found. Again I never reefed

As for single handers, how about a Streaker?. Yes, I know, not CVRDA but they are so much lighter (48kg) than a Solo and, for me, much more responsive. Not as demanding compared with the OK.

You are in not an unusual situation but there are endless possibilities with the choice of mount. Just go for something and get out there again. Best of luck.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

The problem with Herons is finding one. There aren't many for sale [1] ATM there seems to be one on Apollo Duck and one on Ebay. I'd say the Ebay one would be the better buy (assuming your budget can stretch that high) as it's got a combi trailer whereas the Apollo Duck one only has a launching trolley.

Gulls aren't quite as stable as Herons but would probably feel very stable coming from a horrible rolly Enterprise (sorry but I never liked them).

Bear in mind that little dinghies generally aren't designed to carry a lot of weight [2] so if you're of the Rugby prop forward build you might want to look at something a bit bigger (Miracle springs to mind). I also strongly recommend getting a boat which has a combi trailer. Eventually you'll get bored simply pottering around your local reservoir and thoughts will turn to taking her away to explore one of the many estuaries we have around our coast.

[1] People who buy them tend to like them and keep them.
[2] Yes I know that part of the design brief of the Heron was to be able to carry 2 adults and two children and we used to occasionally sail my original Heron three-up young adults (combined weight about 25 stones) but honestly if you're on the large side I think you'd be better off with a bigger boat.
Best wishes

SB
Urr gee pee

Post by Urr gee pee »

Hello I'm new to this and won't pretend to be otherwise,. I went for gp14 because all reviews pointed to stability and good general boat,. I also heard very good things about gulls wayfarers and wanderers,. What makes enterprises so unstable? As said new to this!
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Urr gee pee wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:20 pm Hello I'm new to this and won't pretend to be otherwise,. I went for gp14 because all reviews pointed to stability and good general boat,. I also heard very good things about gulls wayfarers and wanderers,. What makes enterprises so unstable? As said new to this!
GP14s are very good boats but the OP is specifically looking a boat which lighter than an Enterprise. Enterprises were designed to roll tack very easily (I believe Jack Holt was sailing on a smallish lake at the time) hence the lower initial stability.
Best wishes

SB
Urr gee pee

Post by Urr gee pee »

Ah I see. They were more intended for racing then , well hope he finds the right one. I always hear about the gull being really seaworthy and stable so much so it's made me want to add to my fleet. Bringing it to two!
Maybe gull would suit op
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Urr gee pee wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:35 pm I always hear about the gull being really seaworthy and stable so much so it's made me want to add to my fleet. Bringing it to two!
Maybe gull would suit op
Stability is relative. Coming from a GP14 you'd find a Gull a bit tippy. Having two boats isn't going to make you a better sailor but that's your choice. The Gull has already been mentioned as a possibility.
Best wishes

SB
Urr gee pee

Post by Urr gee pee »

No. I just fancied having two boats, :D still like a gull too,. More work to be done on the GP first.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

And why not. You can never have too many. I've tried to make my little fleet a bit varied so I don't get bored. The Streaker replaced a Dart/Sprint 15 that I had sailed for many years. Now that baby offered a totally different character but unfortunately I moved to a region where I could not find anywhere to keep it. Didn't fancy towing it and rigging it every time. I miss it dreadfully.

As for Gulls (mk3 & 6 for certain), I've found they are forgiving but responsive. You'd have to really provoke one for it to give you some swimming practice. I learned to sail in my Dad's Enterprise, sailing it on a gravel pit and yearly on the sea at Looe when on holiday. Very unforgiving of mistakes,especially downwind. That was when I was 12 to 14. Never since had a desire to own one. But each to their own. Difficult to believe the Streaker and the Ent came out of the same man's head apart from the double chine, of course. Shouts Holt.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005